The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, as part of the Ontario Tobacco Strategy, is working towards eliminating tobacco-related illness and death.
The aims of the program are to:
- Prevent tobacco use, especially among youth.
- Protect non-smokers from second-hand smoke.
- Provide cessation support for those smokers who want to quit.
Did you know…
- Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in Canada?
- Cigarettes are the only consumer product that kills half the people who use it when used as intended by the manufacturer?
- Smokeless tobacco, like chew, snuff, and snus still exposes the user to a greatly elevated risk of developing cancer?
- Only 18% of Canadians still smoke?
For more information about quitting smoking, and the health effects of smoking, see the left side of the page.